104 Bradford Street, the original building at Gabriel’s, was built in the early 1800s as a single family home. The home was originally located 400 feet to the east on Bradford Street, or Parallel Road, as it was called then. In the early 1800s, one of the original school houses was located two doors down and the town bakery was across the street.
When the Pilgrim Monument was built on top of High Pole Hill, plans were put in place to create a park at the base of the hill with a large memorial dedicated to the signing of the Mayflower Compact and the election of John Carver as Governor at that time. The Compact has been called “the first American Act in history” and a precursor to the Declaration of Independence signed 156 years later. Cyrus Dallin was commissioned to create the Memorial. Dallin had also created the Last Ride of Paul Revere at The Old North Church in Boston and the Freedom Spirit statue that rests on top of the Philadelphia State House.
What was then stables and garages is now 104A Bradford Street.
As preparations for The Bas Relief Park construction were underway, the Ryder family, the current landowners, donated the land bordering the park, approximately 400 feet to the west to move the Cooks home. The original stable was torn down and a new one was constructed next door to the new Pilgrim Memorial. Today the stables are what we now call our back building, 104A Bradford Street.
The Cook Family Photo
Dallin stayed for a while in the Cook house while he was sketching and planning the Memorial to the Pilgrims. Many years later the Memorial was dedicated to the Town of Provincetown. The Cook house stood and remained a very proud structure for several decades.
Showing 104 before she was moved.
After many changes in ownership, the Cook houses became The Lighthouse Apartments and were run as a rooming house until the early 1970’s. When the owners, Edward Levy and his wife, moved south, the buildings sat empty for almost 8 years. During this time, squatters took shelter in the abandoned spaces. The roof gave way to the elements and looked like a piece of Swiss cheese.
Trees started to grow from inside the house, angry epithets were scribbled on the walls in red. The two buildings were condemned, boarded up and ready for demolition.
One day, A FOR SALE sign appeared. Time passed.
Enter, Elizabeth Gabriel Brooke, Laurel Wise, Christina and William Davidson. Our luxury hotel in Provincetown, MA celebrates its 37th year in 2016, with the same remarkable woman at the helm.
The Wampanoag Tribe had settlements at the foot of the Center Hill that is now called High Pole Hill.
A landlocked home was built by fisherman to house their family where 102-102a Bradford Street now stands
A Captain’s home was built for the Cook family where 104-104a Bradford Street now stands
1800’s – 1900’s
104 Bradford is a private home with stables in back owned by the Cook Family.
Allen & Allen Plumbing Company was housed here and they turned the stables into a garage to store their supplies.
The Provincetown Light and Power Company
Cape & Vineyard Light Company
Lighthouse Apartments owned by Mr. & Mrs. Edward Levy
Gabriel Apartments and Guest Rooms opened at 104-104a Bradford Street and was owned by Elizabeth Gabriel and Laurel Brooke, Christina and William Davidson
Elizabeth Gabriel Brooke, now the sole owner of 104-104a Bradford Street purchases 102a Bradford Street next door from Thomas Steele, a local policeman
Elizabeth Gabriel Brooke purchases 102 Bradford Street from Frank Kelly, an antique dealer and builder of clocks and chandeliers